Scholarship Mobility Programme - African Water Resources Mobility Network (AWaRMN) Programme
Applications are invited from suitably qualified and outstanding candidates for full-time study in any of the doctoral academic mobility scholarship programmes of AWaRMN in any of the Higher Education Institutions within the partnership.
Rhodes University, South Africa (RU)
- PhD Water Resource Science
- PhD Hydrology
Federal University of Technology, Minna, Nigeria (FUTMINNA)
- PhD Applied Hydrobiology
Makerere University, Uganda (MU)
- PhD Chemistry
University of Kinshasa, Congo (UNIKIN)
- PhD Water Resources
Ecole Nationale Supérieure d’Hydrauilique, Algeria (ENSH)
- PhD Hydraulics
Deadline for submission of application is 5 June 2020 at 11:59 PM (SAST).
Applicants will be informed about the outcome of the competitive selection process by email by 19 June 2020
Successful candidates will be expected to resume their study by August 2020.
Applications with incomplete or incorrect information will not be considered.
Female applicants, people with disability or people from socio-economically disadvantaged background are strongly encouraged to apply.
Type of mobility (scholarships)
Degree-seeking Mobility (long-term study that leads to an award of a PhD degree).
Group 1: Students who are registered or have obtained a degree from any of the AWaRMN partner institutions: RU, UNIKIN, FUTMINNA, MU, ENSH.
Group 2: Students who are registered or have obtained a degree from any Higher Education Institution (HEI) established in an African Union Member State apart from AWaRMN partner institutions.
Value of Scholarship
For successful applicants, AWaRMN funding will cover the following areas:
- Participation costs (e.g. tuition/registration fees) of students.
- Research costs (e.g. field work, laboratory consumables).
- Subsistence allowance: PhD: 900 Euro per month.
- Special allowance to female students for mobility equal or more than 2 academic years, viz – PhD: 900 Euro per year.
- Economic class roundtrip flight ticket and visa costs
- Insurance (Health, accident and travel)
- One-off settling-in allowance upon arrival to cover installation costs, viz – PhD: 900 Euro.
To be eligible for support from AWaRMN, applicants must:
- be a national of an African Union member state and resident in Africa at the time of application.
- meet both institutional and partnership requirements for admission.
- not have benefited from any form of previous support from Intra-Africa Academic Mobility Scheme, or Intra-ACP Mobility or Erasmus or Erasmus + programmes
- must be prepared to move from home country to another country where AWARM has a partner institution. This also apply to foreign applicants who resides in a country with AWARMN institution. For such applicants, you must then consider applying to a third country. For example, you are a Ugandan, but resides in South Africa or have studied in South Africa, you can not apply to Rhodes University in South Africa or Makerere in Uganda. Scholarships are attached to mobility.
Applicants must also fulfill the academic eligibility criteria of the partner institution(s) of their choice. Please read the Eligibility Criteria of the Partner Institutions document. You can find it here https://www.ru.ac.za/intra-africa-awarmn/
- Read the guidelines carefully here: https://www.ru.ac.za/intra-africa-awarmn/ and complete the application form
- The following documents need to be included in your application:
- certified copies of academic degrees and official transcripts,
- 2 paged CV,
- 250 words motivation stating why you should be awarded a scholarship,
- a formal identity document e.g. passport, national identity card, driver license or any other officially recognized form of identification indicating your nationality,
- short research proposal of not more than 1000 words,
- two reference letters (one academic and one non-academic). The academic referee must be able to attest to your academic standing.
- Remember to click on the submit button.
General enquiries: email@example.com
Rhodes University – Dr Nelson Odume; firstname.lastname@example.org
Makerere University – Prof NYAKAIRU George William; email@example.com
FUTMinna – Prof Francis Arimoro; firstname.lastname@example.org
UNIKIN - Prof Raphael Tshimanga: email@example.com
ENSH – Prof Mohamed Meddi; firstname.lastname@example.org