The Communication office at the College was established in July 2011 following the transformation of Makerere into a collegiate university effective 1st July 2011. The idea of establishing college communication offices arose out of the desire to strengthen the University communication function for increased visibility and understanding of the various programmes.
The Office oversees and coordinates all internal and external communications for the College’s various audiences in liaison with the University Public Relation Office. It works to raise awareness and understanding of the College programmes and projects through various communication tools including mainstream mass media, website, print, image, and interpersonal channels.
Also the Office of Communications serves as the primary information resource for the College. We can help journalists with their print, web, TV and radio stories by identifying experts for interviews on a wide range of Natural Science topics. We create content for the CNS website. The office also writes press releases announcing the latest research and news coming out of the school.
Operations of the communication office are guided by the communication strategy. (The College Communication Strategy will be uploaded as soon as it’s approved)
- Developing communication objectives and plans for the College
- Writing speeches and press releases for College functions and events and managing the composition, editing, design, recording, and production of publications such as quarterly newsletters, brochures, supplements, journals, annual reports and audio-visual recordings
- Coordination, integration, and management of information contributed to the College website and establishing template formats and logical structures for web pages
- Ensuring that the website is regularly updated and its design and presentation is in line with University guidelines
- Management of media contacts and continuous provision of newsworthy information to the media
- Maintenance of an up-to-date database of College alumni.
- Provision of secretarial services to conferences/workshops as hosted by the College
- Coordination of the promotion of Academic programmes, services and public image the College
The office is located on JICA building fast floor.
Zaam N. Ssali
Communication Officer – College of Natural Sciences
Mobile number: +256 772 406356
Web administrator – College of Natural Sciences
Mobile number: +256 774 772784